Why don't ad agencies have staff photographers?

Why don't ad agencies/design agencies have staff photographers? What I mean here is that since editorial photography is dead and the age of copyright protection is over,  I imagine you could find one or two great photographers that would be readily available for a staff position at a fraction of the price you'd have had to pay a few years ago for such a luxury. I mean wouldn't it be a treat to put an accomplished photographer on the payroll!

Seriously, check out the two links above. Rob Haggart has some great thoughts on the morphing of editorial photography  and Doug Menuez should be inducted into the business of photography hall of fame with his analysis of  photography as a viable business.

And I am really curious if there are examples of staff photographers at agencies. Anyone care to give me the cons of such a concept?

No comments: